Friday, July 19, 2013

My Oak Wall I built

     My dad and I built this oak wall that wraps around the whole room . There is another project that I am still working on and seems to never want to be completed that will finish it off. The stain is a custom stain from Sherwin Williams that I came up with so if you would like the formula I will be glad to email you a photo of it . I have tried to use poplar but it really doesn't give you a flawless look when working with these type of boards. It requires primer and quite a bit of sanding and you still will not get the smoothness that you get with MDF. I know it  is a bit more pricey to  use oak, cherry,  but the finished look is so much more classy and I think staining is much easier than painting.
     It is really hard to find these types of pieces at your local  Big Box store. There are a few lumber stores in my  are that have so many different types of trim pieces and they can also usually make custom pieces so look around in your area. I wouldn't use this in bathroom because of the moisture and steam levels. Poplar is your best choice for wet areas and it will not warp like MDF. If you get MDF wet even if it is painted it will swell. MDF and  standing water does not mix.




 
 
 These chairs are in temporary placement  thanks to the new French door install.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment