Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Crown Molding and Silk Striped Curtains

Crown Molding and Silk Striped Curtains


This is one of my favorite rooms .Check out that crown molding. I love how the back of the chair has a blue stripe on it to match the striped curtains.

     You can achieve this over the top crown look from Polyurethane trim. Home Depot carries a lot of different styles. Polyurethane crown molding is a lot easier to work with than wood because it is a lot lighter and it does not split when you are cutting it. The only issue is if you plan on  buying 6-8 inch crown which is a pretty common size for this type of trim you need a large miter saw to cut the corners with. A lot of this crown will come with corner blocks and this will allow you to be able to do straight cuts. You can use a sharp hacksaw or coping saw to cut the trim with and do just straight cuts so you will not need a miter saw.

     I do not like joining crown molding in the center because I have to glue them first to get the  perfect joint and sometimes the pieces are not molded the same. To solve the problem what you can do is buy the relay pieces that will go in between the two pieces of crown . This will eliminate the need to try and fit 2 pieces of crown together. I will also use focal blocks to go between my 2 pieces of crown . You have to make sure that if you choose the focal blocks they cannot have an edge on them. The edge of the crown has to be able to buck up right next to the crown and it also has to be the same height as the crown molding . If you do not do this you will have the end of the crown molding sticking out away from the focal block.

     I purchased some fake silk curtains from overstock.com .They are really nice and lined. They have so many beautiful ones that you can choose from and you don't have to pay the price for real silk ones.

 
 
They have so many sizes and colors to choose from . If you sign up for their O-mail they will start sending you coupons. Read the reviews of the curtains because I believe some of the people said the blue stripe in these curtains didn't look as blue as the picture.

     I do not know the real color that was used in this picture but it looks a lot like the color I used in my "Blue Room". I used Benjamin Moore Woodlawn Blue. I think it is just the right shade of blue.

http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/woodlawnblue

Click the link above to see Woodlawn Blue
I do wish all the magazines would include paint colors and fabric swatches. In a dream world .

1 comment:

  1. I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post. crown moldings

    ReplyDelete