Friday, June 28, 2013

Chicken and Dumplings

I remember when my daughter was 3 her grandma came to visit us from out of state. While  Grandma Dorothy was there she made my daughter some Chicken and Dumplin soup out of the can. My daughter  turned around and looked at her grandma and said 'Grandma Dumplin". From that day on and 12 years later she still holds the name "Grandma Dumplin" to my children and she was no longer just "Grandma".

I grew up on this chicken and dumpling recipe that my mom makes and I still make it today . The only difference is that when I was a kid I got to eat them and now I save my bowl for the kids because they just cant get enough. I will double up on the recipe and cook them in a big pot and freeze them in quart ziplocs. I will take them out of the freezer and a little water to the saucepan when warming them up..




Chicken and Dumplings

Chicken

Boil a whole chicken in a stock pot covered with water. I usually boil legs and thighs so I wont  have very many bones to pick out of the broth. . you can use  either.
add 1/4 poultry seasoning to the broth
add 1 teaspoon salt ( add more to taste at the end)
Boil covered until the chicken is done and makes a good broth.

Dumplings

1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp salt
3 tablespoon shortening
1 egg
5 tablespoons water



Add 1/2 cup milk to the pot of broth at the end . stir

Directions
Work flour salt and shortening together until mixture is like coarse meal. Beat eggs and water together and add to flour mixture . mixing well. Divide into two portions. Roll portions very thin  and cut into narrow strips, then cut those strips into short pieces. Drop into boiling broth. Simmer for a few minutes, add the deboned chicken.  then add the 1/2 cup milk. Heat well but do not allow to boil. Black pepper may be added if desired.








No comments:

Post a Comment